All Staying Active News
- In a Pickle and Looking for a New Summer Activity? July 8, 2022Continue Reading
Try Pickleball, the Country’s Fastest-Growing Sport
Tired of the same ‘ole routine every summer but find yourself in a pickle and looking for a new summer activity? Well, according to American Council on Exercise (ACE), you might want to consider pickleball.
As everyone from your next-door neighbor to ACE will attest, pickleball is extraordinarily ...
- What Does BMI Really Tell Us? April 1, 2022Continue Reading
Definitive Diagnostic Tool or Part of a Greater Health Matrix?
It’s an easily understood calculation: Body Mass Index, popularly known as BMI, computes an individual’s measure of body fat as weight in kilograms divided by height in meters squared. Levels are defined as Underweight if less than 18.5, Normal weight if between 18.5 ...
- Exercise Is Good Medicine April 1, 2022
Get Up and Join the Movement
As we emerge from the doldrums of winter hibernation and COVID-19-related inertia, it’s important to remember that exercise is good medicine and there’s no better time than now, to get moving again.
“There isn’t a chronic condition that can’t be better managed with an appropriate dose of exercise,” asserts Continue Reading
- A Novel Approach to Behavior Change December 15, 2021Continue Reading
How to Replace Bad Habits with Healthy, Sustainable Behaviors
For entrepreneur physician Kyra Bobinet, MD, the typical reasons behind a failed diet served as the impetus for developing a novel approach to behavior change.
“I was doing so well. I knew what to eat, when to eat, how to eat, and then I just stopped doing it…and ...
- Keep it Moving! But Is 10,000 Steps A Day The Right Goal? July 28, 2021Continue Reading
Are 12,000 steps better, or will 6,000 work equally well?
From casual strollers in the park to purposeful striders in the mall, armed with phones, watches, wearables or pedometers, walkers are everywhere, tracking their daily tallies ...
- Tipping Point: Stay Strong, Flexible and Balanced with Exercise March 30, 2021Continue Reading
Much of life is a balancing act… from learning to sit up as an infant through avoiding falls in the later years. Balance is the ability to ...
- Start 2021 off Right by Sticking to your Winter Exercise Plan January 1, 2021Continue Reading
A Winter Workout Routine Will Prepare You For Life After COVID
Exercise will reduce pain, improve function and mobility, lower blood pressure and blood sugar, decrease risk of chronic illness ...
- Fight Fatigue July 9, 2019Continue Reading
Wake-up Call: Fight Fatigue at Its Roots
Are these ordinary signs of aging? Exhausted throughout the day, joy in life slowly diminishing, active lifestyle becoming a distant memory. No, no and no. Feeling tired ...
- Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony Recap June 24, 2019Continue Reading
On June 10th we celebrated our new concierge practice, Larew Internal Medicine, with a ribbon-cutting ceremony and open house. We were delighted to welcome the Iowa City Chamber of Commerce and meet and greet more than 60 members of our wonderful community who turned out for the event.
It was a perfect opportunity to share the ...
- Spring Training April 2, 2019Continue Reading
Spring Training: Ramping Up after a Long, Sedentary Winter
Whether you went into hibernation as the result of a record cold winter season, or took time off from your usual exercise routine because of ...
- A Novel Approach to Behavior Change December 15, 2021